Just a few points on the subject of the possible development along the Leatherhead – by – pass :-
1. Merton College, who are driving these proposals, own 70% of the land involved and could put forward proposals whether Mole Valley land were included or not. Merton College land is green belt – Mole Valley’s is NOT green belt ;
2. The Allotments at Leatherhead Road alongside the Ashtead Hospital are TOTALLY safe. They are ‘STATUTORY’ allotments and any change would require either a Secretary of State approval and/or an Act of Parliament – Mole Valley DC has NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER to sell or move these allotments ;
3. Should the BW allotments move, the ONLY access would be via Barnett Wood Lane, alongside the motorway in the field containing ponies/horses. This field is NOT involved in any other way. The end of Links Road will NOT be opened up NOR will Caenwood Road be used ;
4. The decision on the marketing exercise was taken by 3 Conservatives and 3 Ashtead Independents who are the Mole Valley Executive. The Portfolio Holder fronting MVDC’s involvement is also a Conservative – however any decision on this issue will effectively be taken by ALL 41 councillors of Mole Valley DC ;
5. Finally, this is COMPLETELY a Mole Valley DC issue (MVDC elections are next year 2014) – Surrey CC have NO involvement whatsoever and have no jurisdiction on this matter which is why I did not refer to it in my election leaflet.
I trust this clarifies the situation – this is a SURREY CC ELECTION.