As a result of concerns raised by residents regarding the issuing of additional car parking permits In Ashtead we can report the following :
Ashtead Independent Councillors Mary Cooper , Patricia Wiltshire and Peter Stanyard representing all three Wards met with MVDC Interim Head of Corporate services – Mr Paul Anderson .
The purpose Of the meeting was to discuss the arrangement by MVDC to grant 60 Ashtead based car parking permits to Premium Credit. 40 permits have been granted for APMH car park usage with 20 in the Grove road car park, following a reduction of 25 for Ashtead hospital staff.
The permit period of cover is 13-3-17 to 31-3-18 .
Premium Credit are sited at the Exxon site and will be bussed to site daily . The request is to accommodate an increased number of temporary contract staff, so is anticipated not to be a permanent arrangement .
Permission to grant the permits was not discussed with local Ward Members as the permits do not constitute a contractual binding arrangement to Council, as they may be withdrawn at any time . However, it was acknowledged as a matter of courtesy in future local Members would be informed .
Prior to the meeting Councillor Stanyard audited APMH car park and discovered only 9 parked cars displaying the permit pass – approximately 25% usage rate . However, we will be keeping a close eye on the usage figures over the next few weeks with MVDC staff additionally reviewing the sites at our request .
As a result of the meeting the following actions have been agreed :
1. Premium credit have been informed of our concerns and have been asked to preferentially use the long term park area at back of the APMH to allow residents front end spaces .
2. We will be requesting a strategy car parking review is undertaken in Ashtead particularly so we can understand the collective impact on car parking in the area prior to the opening of the new M&S store: we will agree the scope of the review with MVDC .
3. Discussion will be undertaken with M&S management to understand their expectation of car movement within the car parks .
4. MVDC will monitor car parks over next few weeks to identify whether the arrangement is causing any major concerns, and should that be the case, we can withdraw permits .
5. We will be asking Premium Credit to re-examine their on-site parking to see if they can make arrangements to accommodate the extra staff on current site grounds .
We will keep you informed of our progress .
Should you find difficulty in locating a space at the car parks, could you please inform MVDC and copy your Ward Councillor – contact details are located on the MVDC website http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/
Ashtead Independent website http://ashteadindependents.org/