All three Ashtead wards were won by Ashtead Independent Candidates in the elections on 3rd May. Chris Townsend retained his seat for Ashtead Park with an increased majority, Paula Hancock took the seat for Ashtead Common previously held by David Howell with an increased majority, and Mary Cooper won the seat for Ashtead Village from Conservative Chris Reynolds with a majority of 299. You can see the profiles of your two new Councillors elsewhere on this site. The whole team thank all those who turned out to vote for our successful candidates in the dreadful weather, and also all those who helped us in many ways over the election campaign. The new Council will have 19 Liberal Democrats, 15 Conservatives, 6 Ashtead Independents and 1 other Independent. It remains to be seen how the Executive will be constituted for the next two years, and all three groups will be having discussions over the next few days – watch this space!
4th May 2012 by Simon Ling
21st April 2012 by Richard BrookeWe understand that there has been some doubt cast over the contribution of the Ashtead Independents to Mole Valley. Here are the facts…
- In all but five of Mole Valley District Council’s 38 years of existence no single party or group has had overall control.
- Over the last two years the Ashtead Independents, with FIVE seats, have held the balance between the Conservative and Liberal Democrat parties who have each had 18 or 17 seats.
- In those two years the five Ashtead Independents have held the following major offices:
- Chairman of the Council
- Deputy Leader of the Council
- Executive member for Property
- Executive member for Planning
- Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee
- Vice-Chairman of the Audit Committee
- Vice-Chairman of the Licensing Committee
- In previous years the current Ashtead Independents have also held the following offices:
- Chairman of the Planning Committee
- Vice-chairman of the Resources Committee
- Chairman or Vice-Chairman of numerous panels and members’ working groups.
No party of any persuasion has ever represented Ashtead so well for so long and we remain the best placed to do so.